WELCOME TO ICAR-RVS KVK, TIRUNELVELI DISTRICT
The Krishi Vigyan Kendra is an innovative science based institution, which undertakes vocational trainings for farmers, farm women and rural youths, conducts On Farm Trail (OFT) for technology refinement and Front Line Demonstration (FLD) to promptly demonstrate the latest technologies in the field of agriculture and allied disciplines to the farming community and extension workers.
The RVS Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Tirunelveli was established in the year 1994 by RVS Educational Trust, Sulur in memory of Rathinavel Subramanium and headed by Dr. K.V. Kuppuswamy, Chairman. This institute is run by the financial assistance of Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, New Delhi.
Introduction of KVK
Starting one KVK in each district is the recommendation given by the Mohan Sinha committee. As per the recommendation, the KVK have grown over the years and at present, there are more than 680 KVKs in our country.
Well-experienced and qualified staff in various disciplines of Agronomy, Agricultural Extension, Animal Husbandry, Horticulture, Home Science and Plant Protection with the support of administrative and supporting staff team running the RVS KVK. The KVK team is working towards the attainment of the mandates.
KVK is guided by the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) for planning, implementation and evaluation of various activities by convening regular meetings. This committe is constituted by the Chairman of the host institution and the officer in-charge of KVK, as member secretary. The Director of Agricultural Technology Application Research Institute (ATARI), The Director of Extension Education(TNAU), representatives from all line departments, Farmers and Farm Women are the members.
Dr. K.V. Kuppuswamy
RVS Educational Trust
Mr. K. Stalin Jeyachandran
A post Graduate in Agriculture and a progressive farmer in the district, is governing the activities of the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) as its Director, representing RVS Educational Trust.
Mandate of KVK
1. The Mandate of KVK is to develop and disseminate location specific technology Assessment, Refinement and Demonstration and to act as Knowledge and Resource Centre for agriculture and its allied activities. Specific activities to carry out this mandate are:
2. Conducting On-Farm testing to identify the location specific agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
3. Organizing FLD to establish production potential of various crops and enterprises on the farmers’ fields.
4. Organizing need-based training for farmers to update their knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies related to technology Assessment, Refinement and Demonstration and training of Extension personal to orient in the frontier areas to technology development.
5. Creating awareness about improved technologies to larger masses through appropriate extension programmes.
6. Production and supply of good quality seeds and plating materials, Livestock, poultry and fisheries breeds and products and various bio-products to the farming community.
7. Works as resource and knowledge centre of agricultural technology for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector for improving agricultural economy of the district.